Wednesday, May 27, 2009
for those that are interested it is a 50mm f 1.8 lens. at 1.8 it has a really shallow depth of field so you can isolate parts of your subject really well. In addition, it is 4x faster then the "kit" type lenses that come with cameras, meaning it lets more light into the camera. it's not the most expensive lens (actually it's one of the cheapest lens canon sells) but I wasn't prepared to spend 4x the price on the next best one (f 1.4) or 12x on the top of the line one (f 1.2).
Here is a sample shot I took to demonstrate to Des why I bought it:
And again for those interested. Here is how I shot the above image:
I used an old cardboard box, 2 sheets of white paper, 2 sheets of glossy craft paper and some flashes. I cut holes in the sides for the light to shoot through and covered them with the white paper. Then I cut a hole on the top and covered it with one of the glossy pieces of paper in case I need to have light come from above in the future. Than I taped the last glossy page to the back wall and let it curve toward the camera to create a seamless background.
Thanks again Des! How did you ever know this was the lens I never talked about but wanted you to buy?
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
- Dad, when is that bowling alley going to open again?
- I don’t know, I think it needs a bunch of things fixed before it can open again
- What needs to be fixed? The thing that sucks the balls up?
- I don’t know, I just heard that there is bunch of things
- How about some of the signs?
- Or the floor where the balls roll down?
- You mean the lanes?
- Ya the lanes, it must be the lanes that are broken!
- That’s possible
- Why don’t you buy it and fix it up so we can go bowling?
- I think there is a lot of stuff to fix and I don’t have enough money to buy a bowling alley and fix it up
- Go to the bank and ask them, they’ll give you money
- How much money do you think I’ll need to ask for?
- Oh I don’t know, maybe $163 dollars, that’s a lot of money
- I’m not sure but I might need more then that buddy
Oh to be young again and to think $163 is a lot of money. Who knows, the bowling alley has been up for sale for a while. Maybe I’ll finance Ben and he can make an offer on the place. He wouldn’t even need to change the sign out front.
I can see it now…
Hey mister, I’ll give you $163.50 cash right now for your property. What do say?
Saturday, May 23, 2009
The way I look at is if you know what you would have needed to do in the field to get this shot if/when it presented itself then you can create what you saw in your mind when it doesn't. Does that make sense?
Here are the images I used
here are the layers involved
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
All in all we had fun. Until Ben got chased by some Valasa Raptors and we had to leave.
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Note to grandparents:
I will be posting pics of your other munchkins in a few days as soon as we can get them to stay still long enough. That's the nice thing about Sarah, she's not mobile... yet
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
In reality I think the officer that drove by a few times and then eventually parked across the street was was just interested in picking up a few photo tips... really.