Monday, April 19, 2010

Recovering



We headed off bright and early on our second day in England. Our first stop was Ashby de la Zouch Castle. This was a really fun place to explore. You can still re ch the top of the tallest structure (78 ft high) by climbing a spiraling stone stair case in the middle. There is also a tunnel that goes from the tower to the kitchen which is behind the structure on the left. Ashby castle began as a manor house in the 12th century and achieved castle status in the 15th century after additions were made to it.








Our next stop of the day turned out to be a real treat. When we arrived at Kenilworth Castle and Elizabethan Gardens there was a medieval festival going on. it was amazing to see all the "towns people" in period clothing and acting in character. It sure put our local festival to shame. the knights were actually wearing amour and not dressed up in hockey equipment like they do here. They had lots of demonstrations and tents set up with several merchants selling their wares.

I knew it, Des loves me



I purposely sought out a location like this. It was just too tempting.











we had planned on going to Warwick Castle but arrived an hour before it closed which was definitely not enough time to explore this huge castle. We had already planned to go to Dover Castle later in the week which is also a huge castle so we decided to pass on this one and just take some photos of the outside.


We ended the day by going to Kirby Muxloe Castle. we arrived later in the day and there were no other people around. The moated remains offered a peaceful environment to sit and talk.




By the end of day two I had filled 2 of my 4 memory cards. I started with my smallest (2GB and 4GB) and was working up to my larger cards (8 GB each). I had intended to bring my external hard drive but forgot. By the end of our trip I still had plenty of memory. I ended up shooting about 15GB though. Now for the past 3 days I have been going through all the images and backing them up.

2 comments:

Kimara said...

It is to bad that you missed Warwick castle. IT was in my mission so I visited it a few times. I am so green with envy....I am glad you guys had a wonderful time.

Nancy said...

the pictures look like the trip was really awesome. my dad and his family are all from england, he moved here when he as 21. it would be awesome to go there and see places where he lived and so much history. the pictures look like you guys had a really good time!